Advanced Geriatric Massage Techniques – Level 2
Presenter: Day-Break Geriatric Massage Institute
Hours: 18 Approved for PA License Renewal & NCBTMB Approved
Early Registration Fee: $375 (if paid 14 days in advance of workshop)
Registration Fee: $400
$100 deposit required to register.
Times: Friday 6:30 PM – 9:30 PM – Sat. & Sun 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
This 2-1/2 day weekend workshop is the next level in our training program in Geriatric Massage. It offers 18 CE contact hours for massage therapists and qualifies for the Level 2 certificate in our Geriatric Massage Training Program. There are two hands-on sessions: one in a Long Term Care or Assisted Living Facility, working directly with resident volunteers. The second hands-on session is in an Alzheimer’s unit. These on site hands on sessions are valuable and inspiring.
Prerequisite: Must have attended the Geriatric Massage – Level 1 Workshop within the last (2) years.
The Workshop Features These Topics
- Review of medical terminology and of the symptoms of the most prevailing age-related health problems and how to select approaches to the diverse afflictions of old age.
- Cautions in the positioning of challenged clients in hospital beds, standard beds, wheelchairs, and geriatric chairs.Specific approaches to massaging people challenged with stroke, diabetes, Parkinson’s, dementia/Alzheimer, arthritis and those who may be wheelchair or bed bound.
- In depth information on the most common age-related health problems and how to work specifically with each, as well as cautions and contraindications.
AFTER THE WORKSHOP, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO:
- Choose the proper techniques to utilize while working under the direction of the prescribing physician but without the need for direct supervision.
- Know how to work with clients who have various degrees of age-related health and mobility problems.
- Be familiar with working in an Assisted Living Facility or Nursing Home.
For more information please check out this website.
Presenter: Sharon Puszko, PhD, LMT is a graduate of the University of California with a major in education. After teaching Biology and English internationally, in Europe, Asia, Central America and the Eastern United States, Sharon made a career change into the wellness field in 1986. She attended massage school in Northern California and then graduated from the Pittsburgh School of Massage Therapy and Healthbuilders School of Massage Therapy in St. Augustine, FL. Along with overseeing the function of DAYBREAK Geriatric Massage Institute, she has a private practice and does volunteer hospice work. She travels extensively throughout the US and internationally teaching the DAY-BREAK Geriatric Massage Level 1 and Level 2 workshops in massage schools and community colleges.
To register for this workshop call 800-860-1114 and place your deposit on a charge card or mail a check for the required deposit to:
Pittsburgh School of Massage Therapy
3600 Laketon Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15235
Include check made payable to “Pittsburgh School of Massage Therapy”, your name, address, email address, phone, name of the workshop and workshop dates. We will send you a confirmation in the mail. If you are traveling by plane, please confirm the workshop with the school before buying your ticket. Occasionally we do have to cancel workshops due to low enrollment. If a workshop is cancelled for any reason our liability is limited to a return of the deposit paid. If you cancel your participation in a workshop within 21 days of the workshop, there will be no refund if the deposit paid. Cancellation earlier than 21 days before the workshop will incur a $25 processing fee. The balance of your deposit will be refunded.