Kinesio® Taping Assessments, Fundamental Concepts and Techniques
Presenter: Scott Korb, CKTI, LMT
Hours: 16 Approved for PA License Renewal & NCBTMB Approved
Early Registration Fee: $529* (if paid 14 days in advance of workshop)
Registration Fee: $569*
$100 deposit required to register.
Times: 7:30 AM – 5:30 PM
* Registration fee includes $129 student kit.
2 day course designed to introduce participants to the science, assessment and application techniques of the Kinesio Taping® Method. Lecture Tutorials of the history, science and theory of stimulus transmission through skin and resulting therapeutic benefit across efferent and afferent systems is reviewed. Corrections for Epidermis, Dermis, Fascia, Space, and Muscle in case study format are presented. Lecture and demonstration by the instructor, then participants perform the Manual Assessments and Movement Assessments. Discussion of the assessment flow charts to determine correct applications and general progression of treatment clinically.
Course Agenda: Day 1
7:30 am Sign In
8:00 Instructor Introduction & Bio
8:10 – 10:00 Intro Kinesio Taping Concepts, Theory, History, Tape Qualities, Finger Demo, Precautions and Application Guidelines, Physiological Systems Affected, Convolutions Lab
10:15 – 12:00 Tape Removal, Skin Stimulation Research, Kinesio Taping Assessments & Labs: Epidermis and Dermis
1:00 – 3:00 pm Manual Direction Tests, Correction Labs: Fascia and Space
3:15 – 5:20 Muscle Correction Theory and Labs, Kinesio Assessments and Labs: Longissimus Cervicus, and Scalenus Anterior
5:20 – 5:30 Q&A; Overview of Practical Exam on Day 2
Day Two continues with instruction and demonstration of assessment and taping procedures for the Mechanical, Tendon, Ligament and Circulatory/Lymphatic Corrections in case study format. Time is allotted for questions and discussion of the assessment flow charts to determine correct applications and general progression of treatment clinically. Participants will receive a full color Kinesio Taping® Workbook and a 60-day access code to the KTAI database.
Course Agenda: Day 2
7:30 am Sign In
8:00 – 10:00 Overnight Responses, Assessments and Labs: Pectoralis Major, Rhomboid Major, Rectus Abdominis
10:15 – 12:00 Kinesio Assessments and Labs: Gluteus Medius, Rectus Femoris; Q&A
1:00 – 3:00 pm Kinesio Taping Corrective Techniques: Mechanical – shoulder, knee and ankle; Ligament,
3:15 – 4:20 Kinesio Taping Corrective Techniques: Tendon, Functional and Circulatory/Lymphatic
4:20 – 5:30 Documentation, Research, Glossary Review, Student Assessments, Q and A
- List unique qualities of Kinesio® Tex Tape.
- List different physiological systems affected by Kinesio Tex Tape.
- List 3 contraindications and 3 precautions of using Kinesio Tex Tape.
- List best use for each type of Kinesio TexTape.
- Describe and demonstrate cutting different Kinesio Taping application tape shapes: I Strip, Y Strip, Web Cut, X Cut, etc.
- Describe one situation where it would be appropriate to use each different tape cut.
- Demonstrate one of the three methods of safely removing Kinesio Tex Tape from skin.
- Demonstrate appropriate use of Manual Direction Tests for tissue and muscle.
- Demonstrate use of Kinesio Screening Assessments to identify target tissue for treatment.
- Demonstrate proper application of Kinesio Epidermis, Dermis and Fascia Taping technique.
- Demonstrate proper application of corrective techniques: Fascia, Mechanical, Space, Functional, Lymphatic, Tendon, Ligament, and Muscle Correction.
- Describe difference between an underactive and overactive muscle correction application.
- Identify appropriate tension range for each corrective technique.
- Describe difference between ligament correction and tendon correction.
- List a condition that the Functional Correction would be used for.
- Describe the difference between “long and short oscillation” and “side to side oscillation” used in the Fascial Correction application.
Each Student will receive, included in the course fee, a student kit.
- 1 canvas Kinesio messenger bag that all the materials come in
- 1 Pen
- 1 English Course Workbook
- 2 Rolls of FP Tape
- 1 Roll of Classic Tape
- 1 Roll of Performance Plus Tape
In order to attend a Kinesio Taping seminar, each attendee must meet all of the following criteria:
- Must have completed 80 course hours of anatomy and physiology
- Must have a working knowledge of the musculoskeletal system
- Must be able to do assessments by evaluating and/or diagnosing injuries and conditions
- Must have achieved or is a student in their junior or senior year (transcripts must be provided) working towards one or more of the following credentials: ARNP, ATC, CAT(C), CCSP, CDP, CHT, CLT, CMBT, CMT, CNMT, COMT, COTA, COTA/L, CPO, CRN, CST, CT, CWS, DC, DO, DOM, DPT, Lac, LAT, LLCC, LMBT, LMP, LMT, LOT, LOTA, LPT, LPTA, MD, MDT, MLD, MOT, MOTR/L, MPT, MT, MTC, NCMT, NCTMB, NDT, NMD, NMT, NP, NRC, OCS, ODT, OMD, OPA, OT, OTA, OTC, OTR, OTR/L, PT, PT-C, PTA, PA, RMT, RN, RPT, RPTA, SLP, Paramedics or Kinesiologists.
Presenter: Robert Paul “Scott” Korb, BCTMB, LMT is a board-certified massage therapist specializing in Orthopedic and Pain Management Massage, Medical Massage, Sports Massage and Core Myofascial Release. He has been an instructor and educator for over 15 years and is a certified CPR instructor.
Scott has been a Certified Kinesio Tape Practitioner since 2009. He has been an avid user, promoter and enthusiast of the Kinesio Taping Method and the therapeutic benefits it provides. Scott is active in his area and nationwide as a clinician and educator of the Kinesio Taping Method. He became a Certified Kinesio Tape Instructor in 2014.
Return to our massage CEU schedule.
To register for this workshop call 800-860-1114 and place your deposit on a charge card or mail a check for the required deposit to:
Pittsburgh School of Massage Therapy
3600 Laketon Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15235
Include check made payable to “Pittsburgh School of Massage Therapy”, your name, address, email address, phone, name of the workshop and workshop dates. We will send you a confirmation in the mail. If you are traveling by plane, please confirm the workshop with the school before buying your ticket. Occasionally we do have to cancel workshops due to low enrollment. If a workshop is cancelled for any reason our liability is limited to a return of the deposit paid. If you cancel your participation in a workshop within 21 days of the workshop, there will be no refund of the deposit paid. Cancellation earlier than 21 days before the workshop will incur a $25 processing fee. The balance of your deposit will be refunded.